Alkaline Ionized Water:
Is it snake oil on tap?

A nice cold refreshing glass of alkaline ionized water on a hot summer's day sounds lovely, right? Oh, what the hell is alkaline blah blah blah water, you ask?

Well, we've explored alkaline water , but the "ionized" part is a new concept. It is one of the most unconventional, yet extremely effective, ways to boost the quality of your water as well as increase its benefits for your body. Or so the mastermind marketers claim.

Ultimately, you'll have to decided for yourself. Some swear by it; others have yet to be convinced of its magical healing powers.


Making Alkaline Ionized Water

Alkaline ionized water is regular water treated in an ionizing water processing machine. It undergoes an ionizing process, which others may refer to as "electrolysis".

During this process the charge of the water is reversed from positive to negative, which increases its ORP (Oxidative Reduction Potential) and makes it more alkaline.

The water is pushed through multiple filters to remove any toxins that may be present, including bacteria, yeast, pollutants, etc.

After filtering, the water then enters the ionization chamber where special plates attract more electrons to one side of the chamber, and more protons to the other. The water is then divided into two separate streams.

The majority (approximately 70%) of the water will be alkaline ionized water, while the other 30% will be quite acidic. The acidic water does not have to be discarded completely. Although it would not be wise to drink it, you may use for other purposes, like washing your dishes.


What is ORP & why does it matter?

As mention just above, ORP stands for "oxidative reduction potential". Reduction, in chemistry, is the addition of electrons, while oxidation is defined as the removal of electrons.

ORP allows for the quantification of electron activity of water by numbering its electrons. The unit of measurement used here is millivolts (mV).

A negative (-) ORP measurement tells us that the water is alkalizing. Quality alkaline ionized water has an ORP of (-1250)-(-250).

Unfortunately, most tap water falls in the range of (+400)-(+1250), which will actually deprive your body of energy if consumed.

The most important benefit of alkaline ionized water is that it is the most powerful antioxidant available to use right now. There is no piece of fruit or any supplement that surpasses it in strength.

Even better, the water is fast acting. It can reach cells and begin repair work almost immediately.


Where Can You Get This Magic Machine?

There are a few options available on the market, however you may want to do your research to determine the quality of each one.

I'm personally familiar with Young pHorever Ionizer, and I have yet to experience, or hear about, any negative qualities about this product. Dr. Young highly recommended this system in The pH Miracle, and details just why it's a great investment.

You may want to sit down for this next part, perhaps have a glass of water handy.

These machines can cost anywhere between $2,000-$3,000.

Did I lose you? Should I break out my alkaline smelling salts ? Here's the consolation. It's worth every penny. There is nothing more important than your health. You're worth the investment. It's compact, so it won't take up much space and you can use it for years. It's energy efficient too!

If you want another perspective, then you should definitely take a few moments to read Dr. Mercola's full assessment of alkaline ionized water. It's quite a different take on things than presented in Dr. Young's research.


New! Comments

Have your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.